Symbols and logos shown on this page may be copyrighted or trademarked by their respective owners. You must have the owner’s permission to copy any copyrighted material or a trademark.

Single post from

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Testimony In Support of Promoting Volunteerism During Nursing School


I live in Hollywood, FL I work in Miami at Jackson Memorial Hospital in the Trauma/Burn ICU and I am studying for my MSN in Nursing Education at Nova Southeastern University located in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

I think it should be stressed that community service is a lifelong process. When students graduate they should give back to their community. That's when you know who cares or who is in it for the flexibility and pay. I have been a nurse for 17 years and I love doing community service. I saw a need in my community and I began volunteering teaching breast cancer prevention. Volunteering is easy, the materials and resources are there. It only takes up a few hours of my time but my work has helped my community tremendously. In addition to being a critical care nurse I became a community health and women's health nurse through my community service. Doing work like this has broadened my knowledge of nursing care. I know I will have more to give my students and I hope they continue to do work and volunteer in their own communities well after they graduate.

Esther S Cohen RN BSN CCRN

The National Nursing Network Organization Team—Saturday, November 24, 2007  

 Comments (0)