For nearly three years a grassroots campaign has been underway to establish an Office of the National Nurse. The National Nurse will:Serve as a prominent nurse icon for prevention.Complement the work of the US Surgeon General.Strengthen preparedness and prevention within the MRC units.Guide nurses to promote prevention in their local communities.Generate interest in nursing careers and other health professions.Strengthen partnerships among existing national, state, and local public health services.
We are amazed at the amount of grassroots support the Office of the National Nurse proposal is receiving from nurses on the frontlines, members of the public, and members of Congress. A complete list of endorsers can be found at http://nationalnurse.org/endorsements.shtmlTo get involved:
1. Visit http://nationalnurse.org/takeAction.shtml
for links on ways to contact your Representatives or Senators.
2. Contact Teri
for a free poster and also to sign up for email newsletter updates that can also be forwarded to your family, friends, and peers or posted on websites.
3. Ask organizations you are a member of to endorse the Office of the National Nurse initiative.
4. Call the American Nurses Association and leave a message that you strongly support creating an Office of the National Nurse for prevention. 301-628-5000 You may also email the ANA at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Write a letter of support to the Presidential candidate you are supporting and urge him to put language about the Office of the National Nurse proposal into his platform statement on nursing/healthcare.
Senator John McCain
PO Box 16118
Arlington, VA 22215
Senator Barack Obama
PO Box 8102
Chicago, IL 60680
6. Purchase a button or a bumpersticker at http://www.cafepress.com/nationalnurse
7. Make a donation to the National Nursing Network Organization
. We are a non-profit organization, but are not tax exempt; therefore contributions are not tax deductible.
The National Nursing Network Organization Team—Monday, July 07, 2008