National Nurses Week is an excellent opportunity to promote the Office of the National Nurse initiative. Years ago the leaders of our nation declared there be an annual National Nurses observance to celebrate and recognize our nation's nurses. Each year healthcare providers including hospitals, public health departments and schools of nursing plan events during this week to show nurses how they are valued and appreciated, while raising public awareness of the unique contributions nurses make to society 24/7 all year long.
This is an important week for nurses, because the focus acknowledges the unique contributions of nurses in every community. It is also an opportune time to raise public awareness of how and why nurses are mobilizing alongside the National Nursing Network Organization to establish an Office of the National Nurse. Nurses deserve to have a year round prominent leader positioned in Washington DC to represent nurses and advocate for the populations we serve. The health of the nation represents tremendous social capital, and will be enhanced and protected with a prominent and visible nurse leading prevention efforts.
If your organization has not yet decided what action to take in observance of National Nurses Week, we recommend that you write a letter to the editor using the template provided in the post directly underneath this one. Here are some other suggestions:
• Write a brief article or letter for your nursing organization's newsletter about the Office of the National Nurse initiative. Here is a brief and current article that was published in the May/June issue
of the Nevada State Nurses Association’s newsletter.
• Contact your legislative representatives, let them know you favor having a National Nurse. Sample letters and phone scripts are available on the National Nurse website
• Make a small donation to the National Nursing Network Organization either on line
or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
to find out where to send a check. To thank you for your support, we would be delighted to send a certificate of recognition to a respected nursing colleague whom you identify to us to acknowledge their contributions to nursing practice and community and public health.
• Plan a family friendly community health fair event, staffed by nurses and nursing students.
• Make a poster board to display about the Office of the National Nurse initiative. We have many handouts available to assist you.
• Consider purchasing a button or bumper-sticker to support the ONN campaign at CafePress
. Merchandise features the logo 'What Would Flo Do?'
• Request a presentation from an NNNO Board member and we will do our best to meet your needs.
• Ask that five of your colleagues sign up to receive the National Nurse newsletter; this is a great way to spread the news about the ONN initiative.
• Join the National Nurse Campaign on Facebook
Our Board members are willing to help you with planning. What is most important is that we all "seize the moment" and join the celebration of National Nurses Week! "Health is not only to be well, but to use well every power we have."
Florence Nightingale, 1893
The National Nursing Network Organization Team—Wednesday, May 06, 2009